Friday, April 11, 2008

The Velveeta Fudge Report...at last!

At last, we get to the end of the story of my adventures with Velveeta fudge. In Parts 1 and 2 of this story, I told you how I came by the recipe, and how I eventually felt some obligation to make this fudge. Today I'll let you know the results of this kitchen experiment.
I really had no idea of what Velveeta fudge would taste like. Cheesy? My first taste was cautious. First thought: This is not bad.

I took another taste, and detected a sort of tangy aftertaste to a nice, nutty fudge. At first, I thought that aftertaste was due to the cheese product in the recipe. It took me a couple of minutes to identify it as powdered milk taste. You know that slightly strange taste that powdered milk has? That was the aftertaste. I had used a cheap store-brand powdered milk. Maybe a different brand wouldn't have that taste.

The funny thing was, after all that build-up and anticipation, I couldn't taste the Velveeta at all. My daughter tried it and pronounced it "pretty good for fudge that has cheese in it." When my husband and son came home, we let them sample the fudge without telling them the secret ingredient. My son found it delicious and was put off for only a minute or two when he learned what was in it. My husband thought it was tasty too.

The lesson here is that those recipes that have outrageous ingredients in them really do work sometimes. Now I'm going to try that spice cake recipe that uses a can of tomato soup, and then that one that calls for sauerkraut, and then.....

Here's the recipe for Velveeta fudge. Please resist the urge to say "you'll never guess what's in it!" Believe me, people don't want to know.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
8 ounces pasteurized process cheese, Velveeta, cubed
1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, about 5 cups unsifted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan over medium heat butter and cheese cubes together, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Sift together confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to cheese, mixing well. Stir in non-fat dry milk, vanilla and nuts. Turn into a 9x9x2-inch pan; chill until firm and cut into squares.
Makes about 3 pounds.

5 comments:

Mississippi Songbird said...

Oh, That sounds so delicious!.. I found your blog thru Mom Blogs..
I enjoyed reading it. I'll be sure to come back. Have a great weekend!

Audrey said...

Wow...this actually sounds great. I think I'm going to have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Paula Deen has a Cheese Fudge recipe in her dessert cookbook, a litle different than the one you used. I made both chocolate and peanut butter for Christmas last year and it was a huge hit. The folks at the dinner cleaned the plate of all but three pieces out of two batches laid out.

Carmen said...

You're a brave soul!~

Anonymous said...

Can SPAM be substituted for VELVEETA in this recipe?